Free Knitting Pattern: Easy Cowl

Free knit pattern - beginner's cowlI have a soft top car and whenever the roof is down, there is a massive draft at the back of my neck. So I’ve created this really simply cowl to help keep me warm while I’m driving. The simple rib means that it is stretchy enough to fit over your head easily whilst also fitting snuggly around the neck to keep the draughts out.

Download the pattern for the easy knitted cowl (PDF)

free knit patterns: pink cowlI used Size 7 1/2mm needles with around 250 yards of  yarn. Any yarn is fine – they grey cowl uses Sirdar Bonus Aran (20% acrylic/80% wool mix.) and the pink cowl uses Wendy Mode’s Aran (50% Pure Merino Wool).

• Cast on 52 stitches loosely (if you knit tightly you may need to increase by 4 or 8 stitches).
  • Row 1: *K2, P2* Repeat between * until the end of the row
  • Repeat Row 1 your knitting is around 30cm long.
  • Cast off loosely
  • Sew up 2/3 of the edges to form a circular piece of knit.
  • Fold horizontally leaving the top part of the cowl slightly shorter than the section underneath.
  • Add some buttons for decoration if you wish.

If you do knit this pattern, please send me photos as I’d love to see them :)

This entry was posted in Free Knitting Patterns, Knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Free Knitting Pattern: Easy Cowl

1. ashley rosado says:

i had tried this pattern. I followed the pattern yet my piece was to small. I dont think i did anything wrong can you help me. I am upset i spent alot of time doing this and i feel lost now. Please help.

2. Sarah says:

Do you knit quite tightly? Is the pattern quite stretchy when you pull it sideways? If you are a very tight knitter, you might need to cast on more stitches or use a larger needle size to make sure that it’s long enough and stretchy enough to pull over your head.

Also, what yarn were you using? I’ve tried this pattern with quite a few different yarns without a problem although I’m guessing that a cotton yarn might not have enough give in it.

3. rd says:

Thanks for your post.

4. Liz says:

thanks for your pattern!! i made my cowl with a bulky pink yarn and i love it! i think i am going to make another cowl, this time with a medium yarn. it’s such a simple, easy-to-follow pattern for a beginner like me. thanks again! =)

5. Kay says:

great post, very informative.

6. Kessa says:

This is the best pattern I’ve come across for a cowl that actually stays where you want it to. So simple and so quick! Love it, thanks a million x
    p.s. I do have a picture but don’t know how to show you :/

7. CRV says:

I?m including this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again soon..

8. CC says:

I like this cowl especially how you have folded it over so it’s double thick.
    Thanks for sharing!!

9. Lori says:

Is the finished length only 11 inches?

10. Sarah says:

Lori – yes, although you can add more rows for a longer cowl if you wish

11. Kate says:

Sarah, just love the look of this cowl! Just want to make sure I understand something as I am not extremely experienced in knitting. So you are NOT knitting in the round, correct? This is a flat, approx 12 inches long scarf that when you are finished you fold in half, and then sew the two ends together as you have done in the front, and add buttons? Thanks!

12. Sarah says:

Kate – yes, that’s right :)

13. Billie says:

Hi Sarah

This is a beautiful cowl, I’m just getting started but looks achievable for me. Thanks so much for posting the pattern as well as the pictures.

best wishes

Billie

14. barbara cram says:

Sarah Love this cowl and just finished knitting it, but now I’m at a total loss. This is the 1st thing I’ve ever made. Which way do I fold it to sew it up 2/3 of the way and then do I fold it again. I am so totally lost Please help

15. Sarah says:

Hi Barbara,

Put the finished square in front of you with the cast on edge closest to your body (i.e. with the ‘stripes’ created by the ribbing running vertically). Fold the left hand side to the right hand side and sew two thirds of the edges together. These two thirds should then create a tube.

The bit that wasn’t stitched together when you folded it over can then be turned over from top to bottom (think of it like turning down the top of a sock) and this is the bit where you can add your buttons or embellishments.

I hope that makes sense!

16. Desi says:

So I am new to kitting and I would love to make this, sadly I don’t understand the kitting lingo, help?

17. barb says:

Sarah
    What weight yarn did you use for this cowl
    Thanks

18. Sarah says:

Hi barb, I just used dk wool which I had in my stash

19. Mary Hohulin says:

Hi Sarah, I understand everything about this pattern except for number of rows to stitch. I’m sure it’s there, I just don’t see it!
    This is a lovely cowl I am hoping to knit well enough to gift to my knitting savvy daughter. I am just learning.
    Thank you.

20. Sarah says:

Hi Mary, I haven’t set a specific number of rows to stitch as it’s down to personal preference. You should be sewing approximately 2/3 of the ends together leaving about 1/3 of them loose. If you are unsure, you can always use some safety pins to pin where you think you should be sewing and then try the cowl on to see how it looks & feels, and then when you are happy, sew up. I hope that helps.