Free Knitting Pattern: Easy Patterned Handwarmers

Free Knitting Pattern: Easy HandwarmersThese patterned handwarmers are a really simple, quick knit and are perfect as last-minute gifts. The picture on the side used a merino wool/acrylic mix to ensure the handwarmers are warm yet hard-wearing however any DK weight yarn will do.

Dec 2012 – Based on Ravelry feedback: If your hands are fairly large, you may want to cast on a few more stitches (in multiples of 4) to ensure a good fit. If you prefer a tighter cuff, knit the cuff on a smaller size of needles before swapping back to 4mm needles for the handwarmer body.

Download a PDF version of this pattern.

Materials

• Any DK weight yarn
  • 4mm (US6) Needles
  • A Darning Needle (for sewing up)
  • Buttons/Ribbon (optional)

Handwarmers (make two):
Cuff:
Cast On 34 sts leaving a long tail for sewing up
Rows 1,3,5,7,9,11,13: k2, *p2,k2* across
Rows 2,4,6,8,10,12,14: p2, *k2,p2* across
(note: The picture above shows how long the cuff will be. If you prefer a longer cuff, repeat these two rows until the cuff is as long as you want it to be)

Body:
Pattern:
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: *Purl 1, Slip 1 purlwise* to last 2 sts, P2
Row 4: Purl

Repeat pattern a further 5 times (so there are 6 ridges in total)

Top:
Row 1: k2, *p2,k2* across
Row 2: p2, *k2,p2* across
Cast off loosely (use larger needles if you tend to cast off tightly)
Cut yarn leaving a tail for sewing up the handwarmer’s top.

Sewing Up

• Sew handwarmer top for approx 1cm.
  • Sew handwarmer ribbed cuff and the side of the pattern up to the second “ridge” above the cuff. This should allow a 3cm hole in the body open for the thumb.
  • Weave in ends.
  • Add buttons and/or ribbon for decoration if you wish.

If you use this pattern, please consider making a donation to SOFT UK in memory of my daughter. You can donate online here: https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/softuk- Thank you.

This entry was posted in Free Knitting Patterns, Knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Free Knitting Pattern: Easy Patterned Handwarmers

1. Tammy B. says:

Cute..thank you for sharing…! 🙂

2. Alexis says:

Fantastic pattern – wonderfully easy. I made the mistake of using size 4 needles, but they’ll make a good gift for my little sister. 😀 Thanks so much!

3. Cecilia says:

This pattern is so lovely I did made one pair and gave away in a swap and now I will start on my own, Would like to see what you think in my blog later on..

4. LL says:

Generally I don’t read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very great article.

5. Abby says:

Hi There, I’d like to knit these for a 2 year old. Would this pattern fit a 2 year old?

Cheers
    Abby

6. Sarah says:

Hi Abby,

I think the pattern as written would be too big for a 2 year old although it would depend on their hand size! The pattern fits my hands which are approximately 7inches (18cm) in circumference.

The pattern should be easy to adapt for smaller hands – I suggest trying casting on 30 or 26 stitches. You will also need to reduce the length of the patterned section – I would think 4 or 5 repeats would be sufficient – you can always measure as you are knitting!

Please do let me know how you get on 🙂

7. Kate says:

Thank you for this lovely pattern have made 2pairs so far all my family and now friends want a pair. Thank you again Kate

8. Clare says:

Thanks so much for this pattern! It was a really simple one (that I simplified further because to match my “skill” level) and only took a few hours per mitten.

It’s really encouraging to be able to make something with a really low skill level like mine. Thanks 🙂

9. jill says:

Thankyou for sharing
    Such a wonderful easy n quick patt
    Many many Thanks:-)

10. Mehgan says:

I was able to knit up quickly, but for some reason, I wasn’t able to make the ridge work. it turned out flat even though I followed the pattern. Is there a reason for this?

11. Sarah says:

Hi Meghan,
    Without seeing a picture it’s hard to tell what went wrong – do you mean you ended up with something that looks just like stocking stitch?

12. Karen says:

34 isn’t a multiple of 4, so to make a nice even rib I would use k1,p1…multiples of 4 the k2,p2 works just fine…and all rib rows are the same.

I am experimenting now with 38…and I want a matching cowl, so I will use a reversible pattern instead of the one in the original pattern as published.

13. Pingback: The knitting staple – bobble hats! | ronniesleftyknittingprojects