This is a really simple knitted toy to make and because it’s so small (the final ghost stands at around 7cm high), it is really quick to make.
- White DK wool (acrylic is probably best)
- Some scrap DK wool (for the eyes and mouth)
- Grey DK wool (optional – depends on what colour you want the chains to be)
- A darning needle (for sewing up)
- A small amount of stuffing (if you don’t want to buy toy stuffing, you can use scraps of wool or material – but make sure it is a light colour so it doesn’t show through)
- 3.5mm needles (if you don’t have this size, use whatever size you have closest. However be aware you might need to change the amount you cast on for the base to make it a good fit)
Making the main ghost body (make 2)
Cast on 16
Do 22 rows in st st, starting with a knit row
Row 23: k2tog, k12, k2tog [14 sts]
Row 24: purl
Row 25: k2tog k12 k2tog [12 sts]
Row 26: purl
Row 27: k2tog k12 k2tog [10 sts]
Row 28: purl
Row 29: k2tog k12 k2tog [8 sts]
Row 30: purl
Row 31: [k2tog] 4 times [4 sts]
Row 32: purl
Row 33: k2tog, k2tog [2 sts]
Pull thread through 2 sts
To make ghost base (make 2)
Cast on 12
Knit 2 rows
Row 3: K2tog at each end of row [10 sts]
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: K2tog at each end of row [8 sts]
Row 6: Knit 1 row
Row 7: K2tog at each end of row [6 sts]
Row 8: Knit 1 row
Row 9: K2tog at each end of row [4 sts]
Row 10: Knit 1 row
Row 11: K2tog at each end of row [2 sts]
Row 12: Knit 1 row
To make the chains:
Sellotape two knitting needles together – the size of the needles will be the size of each piece of chain.
Fold your wool in two and tie it around the needles – you should have two ‘tails’ of equal size.
Lie the needles flat on the table and move the knot to the top left hand side of the needles.
Pass one of the pieces of thread underneath the needles and lay the other over the top before tying on the right hand side of the needles, slightly underneath the original knot.
Pass one of the pieces of thread underneath the needles and lay the other over the top before tying on the left hand side of the neddles, slightly underneath the previous knot.
Keep doing the last two steps until you have created your desired length of chain. Slip the knotted threads off the needles and cut off any excess yarn.
To make up ghost:
Sew on face in black thread
Stitch two pieces of the body together
Sew the chains onto the body
Sew edges of bases to the ghost leaving middle bit open
Sew remaining seam